10 Best Convertible Car Seats 2017 – Quality, Safety, Comfortable
Safety and fun go hand in hand
There are a number of choices in the market today as far as car seats are concerned. However, before going into that detailed discussion, let us start from a very basic point. What are convertible car seats? These are attachable seats which can be changed into different set ups. It can be rear facing or backward leaning according to your child’s age and convenience.
Car seats become your child’s best friend as he or she grows up and makes every journey of theirs beautiful and fun. Let us take a look at the different brands of best convertible car seats you can fetch in the market today along with their pros and cons
Best Convertible Car Seat 2017
Convertible Car Seat Comparison Chart
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max Convertible Car Seat
Air Protect Technology
Max 85 Pounds
Diono Radian R100 All-In-One Convertible Car Seat
Total Side Impact Protection
Max 100 Pounds
Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat
Max 65 Pounds
Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat
Side Impact Protection
Max 65 Pounds
Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat
Max 40 Pounds
Graco 4ever All-in-One Convertible Car Seat
Side Impact Tested
Engineered & crash tested US standard FMVSS 213
Max 120 Pounds
Britax Roundabout G4.1 Convertible Car Seat
Max 55 Pounds
Disney APT Convertible Car Seat
Side Impact Protection and LATCH-equipped
Max 40 Pounds
Eddie Bauer XRS 65 Convertible Car Seat
Side Impact Protection and a 5-point harness that easily adjusts
Max 65 Pounds
Britax USA Marathon Click Tight Convertible Car Seat
Max 65 Pounds
Convertible Car Seat Reviews
1. Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max Convertible Car Seat
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max Convertible car seat gives your baby the luxurious and comfortable ride he or she would love. It can carry from five to eighty-five pounds, has auto magnetic chest clips, it has handy harnesses along with rear facing and front facing options. You can insert cushions and padded seats make it more comfortable. The seat is easy to clean and use.
- Air-protect technology protects your child’s head from any injury
- Easy to clean and washing machine safe
- Handy harness holders
- Easy to fit protection belts
- The car seat is not very pocket-friendly. However, the buy is worth it
- It cannot be fitted to a stroller and is meant for only car use
2. Diono Radian R100 All-In-One Convertible Car Seat
The Diono Radian R100 is known for its safety measures and protective features. The seat has a full alloy frame along with sturdy side walls which are safe and comfortable owing to the padded seat. It can carry rear facing children from the weight of 5 to 40 lbs and front facing children from 20 to 60 lbs. The seat is easy to fold and the convenient design makes it fit in a number of small vehicles.
- Lasts long up to ten years and is a good option for growing families
- Can be carried easily while you travel
- Tested and approved to be one of the safest car seats
- There are no arm rests
3. Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat
Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car seat has a five-point harness for protection and can hold weights similar to the Diono Radian R100. The harness system adjusts the harness as well as the head rest height of the seat. The seat has a removable head and body support and can be easily washed. The seat can be easily installed.
- The seat has a cup holder which can be used to keep your baby’s drink
- The seat is easy to put in and take out
- Easily washable and cleanable
- The seat doesn’t recline
4. Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertible Car Seat
Safety 1st Guide 65 has a harness system for total protection of your kid. The adjustable head rest gives your child protection as well as comfort. The rear seat position holds from 5 to 40 pounds and front seat position holds from 22 to 65 pounds. The seat has side grip. It is simple to use and has a cup holder as well. Comfortable head pillows make traveling fun.
- Easy to wash and washing machine friendly
- Extra padding in the seats
- The seat is recommended for smaller cars
- The seat doesn’t recline
5. Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat
This car seat has met all the federal standards along with side impact tests and crash tests. The seat has emerged as an absolutely safe seat for children. The seat is known for its comfort, fit and light weight and can be a great product for parents who keep changing their cars. Five-point harness in front, four harnesses in the shoulder and two crotch buckle positions make it extra safe for your baby. You can also recline the seat for the rear facing purpose.
- Easily washable seats
- Side impacts tested
- Seat can be reclined
- Not preferable for very small children or infants
6. Graco 4ever All-in-One Convertible Car Seat
Graco 4ever all in one convertible car seat is known for its long-lasting nature. If used properly, it can last you a decade. The rear facing infant car seat can carry from 4 to 40 lbs and the front facing seat can carry from 20 to 65 lbs. the high belt back positioning booster can take from 30 to 100 lbs. you can adjust the harness and headrest together with the help of the10 position head rest. You can change and recline the seat in six different positions.
- The seat can be adjusted with a single hand
- It has two integrated cup holders
- Fit for newborn babies
- The seat can’t be fitted into a stroller and doesn’t have a click to connect base system
7. Britax Roundabout G4.1 Convertible Car Seat
This car seat is a roundabout car seat with convertible rear seat system. The seat is known for a unique thing called safety cell impact protection. These components, apparently present only in this car seat ensures that the seat has a steel frame, energy absorbing base along with impact absorbing quality and slow and reduce forward movement feature in case you have a car crash.
- Tangle-free five-point harness
- Easy to install and perfectly safe
- Easy to use latch connectors with an audible click sound
- The fabric might not be breathable during winters
8. Disney APT Convertible Car Seat
Great for children in love with Disney characters, especially mini mouse. The baby seat provides you all kind of services starting from the safety harness to side impact, two cup holders where you can fit cups or bottles. The seat is easy to use and very attractive for children.
- Easy to install
- Two integrated cup holders
- Passed all safety tests
- It fits cars in the US but to make sure it fits cars in other countries, you have to buy them from the local retailers of those countries respectively
9. Eddie Bauer XRS 65 Convertible Car Seat
Best part of Eddie Bauer XRS 65 Convertible car seat is that it takes less space. You can easily fit in your baby with his or her seat along with the whole family without any trouble. 40 pounds when rear facing and 65 pounds when front facing, this seat gives your child the ultimate comfort needed while traveling. Five-point harness makes sure of your child’s safety
- The seat keeps room for other members in the car
- The seat is easy to wash and really safe
- It doesn’t have a base and is made for more of a permanent installation
10. Britax USA Marathon Click Tight Convertible Car Seat
Britax is known for its reasonable rate and perfect quality. Unlike other products in the market, it is easy to install. All you need to do is open the front part of the car seat, buckle the seat belt and click the seat shut. The harness is adjustable and you can change is=t as your child grows up
- The seat has deep foamed lined shell to avoid any side impact injuries
- Easy to install and use
- The seat is pocket-friendly
- The seat is a bit heavy and bulky
Convertible Car Seat Buying Guide
In today’s world, you can really sit at home because you have a baby who is very small and needs to be taken care of. At the same time, you cannot leave your baby at home. This is when you need a convertible car seat. As you must already know by now, the convertible seat changes positions and you can use it for children who are very young to children who are growing up.
The first question that should come to your mind would be: should I really need a convertible car seat for my child? Now, let me tell you, you get something called an infant car seat for very young children. However, as your kids grow, you have to switch from infant seats to convertible car seats. So, it is better to purchase one beforehand.
There can be situations where you are alone and you need to take your kid along. Now, you can’t hold your baby and drive right? Moreover, even if you are not alone, it becomes really troublesome to hold your baby throughout the journey. It is better that you sit and your baby rests beside you in his or her seat.
What should you look for when you buy a convertible car seat ?
You need to take care of a few things before you go to buy a convertible car seat
1. It is always better to get a new and first-hand convertible seat because of safety purposes. A second hand or used seat might not work as well as the new one. Even if you take an old one, make sure you take it from someone you trust and wouldn’t give you a worn out seat
2. Make sure the seat fits your car. A convertible seat can be a bit heavy and bulky. You don’t want to buy it and then struggle later on to fit it in your car. So always see if it will fit well in your car and then fetch it
3. Go for a seat which has more safety features because safety comes first as far as your kids are concerned.
4. Take a look at the guarantee features and see that the convertible seat is comfortable. Your kid might go on long journeys with you. It is better if the seats are comfortable and padded.
5. When we talk about children, we cannot forget the mess part. They will make the seat messy and so to keep them healthy, you need to clean the seats on a regular basis. Hence, get a type of seat that would be easily washable and washing machine friendly.
6. You might be really busy on certain occasions. You wouldn’t have the time to work your brain on how to fix the seat. Get a seat that will be easy to install and easy to remove. Simple and easy is the best for you and your kid.
7. It is better to not compromise on the quality of the seat. However, you need to think how much you want to spend on your seat. Since most of the seats have a ten-year lifespan, you can always go for a better one without caring much about the price, especially if you are planning to have a baby or babies in the near future again.
Apart from all this, you can also see the kind of features your convertible seats provide you with. There are certain seats which can be reclined and some which cannot. It is better to go for the ones which can be reclined. You need to check if the harness and the side impact work well to ensure your baby’s safety. Some have cup holders which can be really useful for keeping your baby’s drink or bottle.
Make sure your child can breathe properly when harnessed tightly and the seats are apt for both humid and dry weathers along with summers and winters. Go for the convertible seats which have a wider window of the amount of weight it can take. This way you can use it for a longer span of time, starting from a very early age till your kid grows up.
You should always remember that there is nothing as the best when you come to think of it. Apart from the safety measures, your choice of product depends on what are your requirements and that will differ from others. So, choose your convertible car seat carefully keeping all the above things in mind. Happy parenting!
This Editor's Choice For Best Convertible Car Seat
Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat
Price : $112 - $139
Let us know what you think. You can also share your ideas or clear any doubts you have by leaving a comment below.