Feed your baby well.
There is nothing more exciting than having a little one at home. The first few years are very crucial for your baby’s growth. You need to take care of a number of things. Starting from what your baby eats to what your baby wears. Coming to the food part, a baby should strictly be breast fed for the first six months.
Breast milk has a lot of medicinal benefits that develop your baby’s initial immunity system. With increasing work pressure, it is difficult for mothers to breast feed their children. Many of them have opted for breast pumps instead.
Best breast pumps buying guide
Congratulations on having a little one at home. I know it is difficult to have babies nowadays. Gone are those days when women used to sacrifice all their lives and career for their kids. Women now are smarter. They know how to handle both home and work. This is the reason why you will see plenty of women going to work even after having a baby at home.
A breast pump helps you to do that. Breast feeding of new born babies is very important. A breast pump helps you to do that. You can now easily store your breast milk in a bottle and go off to work. Your baby will get his or her share of milk whenever he or she feels like.
Is breast pump beneficial only to working women ?
Absolutely not! There are other reasons why it is important for each and every mother in general.
- There are women who have a problem with normal milk flow. You can just fill in the bottle when you have a flow and feed your baby later on.
- A number of times, when you feed your baby on one side, the milk from the other breast flows and is wasted. Why waste it when you can just use a pump and store it. This way you can do both the things at the same time.
- If you wish to donate milk to any milk bank, you can use a breast pump to do that.
- Many women have a problem with breast feeding because either their baby haven’t learnt how to feed from breasts or they have some medical issues. In such a case, breast pumps can be used.
- You can just give it a try because at times it is less messy and convenient.
Types of breast pumps
You get different types of breast pumps depending on your needs and requirements.
1. Hospital grade breast pumps : these pumps are the best kind of pumps and are used by women who really have health issues such as less milk or who have twins. The pump works for both the breasts and you can simultaneously pump out milk. The sensations are like that of a baby’s so the milk suction is great. The pump is comfortable to use and is recommended for women who want a pump which can be used in multiple ways. These pumps are generally a bit expensive. You can rent or borrow them if money is an issue.
2. Electric breast pumps : these are the pumps generally used by women who don’t have any suction problem but often are separated from their babies due to work or other reasons. Electronic breast pumps pump milk at a fast rate and are comfortable. They are also portable and can be used with batteries. This is the reason why they are preferred over hospital grade breast pumps at times.
3. Mid-range electric breast pumps : these pumps are goof for women who don’t need to pump very often. The speed of suction is less compared to electric breast pumps but it works well for mothers who don’t want to use manual pumps. They are portable and easy to use.
4. Manual breast pumps : manual breast pumps are the ones you would like to use just to save un-necessary flow of milk. They are cheap and value for money. However, they lack many features that the above types have.
Things that you need to consider before you purchase a breast pump.
1. It is better to use multiple use breast pumps compared to single use pumps. This is because the multiple ones are easy to clean and milk doesn’t get inside the inner parts of the pump unlike the single ones. Say in case you are borrowing or renting one and it is single, the pump can always have traces of milk from the past users. Any kind of bacteria or virus can enter your child as well. So, make sure you get a multiple one or else, always make it a point to clean the pump well before use.
2. It is better to go for a closed system pump. A closed system would always be better because no bacteria or fungus enters the milk while it is being transferred. The problem of leakage or infection won’t be there if you use a closed system pump.
3. Get a pump that has a proper suction mechanism. You will find a lot of pumps in the market that promise a lot but at the end of the day the suction rate reduces and it doesn’t last long. Make sure you buy a long-lasting pump.
4. If you want to travel with your pump, it is better you get the portable ones. Get the pumps which work on batteries and are easy to carry.
Best Breast Pumps 2017
We bring to you theten best breast pumps in the market.
1. Spectra Baby USA Double/Single Breast Pump with Rechargeable Battery
Spectra Baby breast pump is a rechargeable breast pump with proper hygiene and excellent motor performance. A physical barrier between the milk and the pump makes it hygienic. It has simple features that makes it an easy to use pump for mothers. The pump has great suction strength and is a support system for many working mothers in USA.
- One or two pumps can be used.
- Has touch buttons to control the pump digitally.
- The pump has a timer and night light.
- You can control the speed and frequency of the pump.
- The pump is not portable.
2. Electric Breast Pump Single Comfort Breast pump
Electric breast pump is a BPA free and compact breast pump. The pump is light weighted and can be changed into two different modes for massage or suction. Usage of this pump reduces any kind of nipple discomfort as you have 9 level’s suction. It is apt for new mothers especially if you are working.
- The pump has a LED HD screen.
- You can check the screen to see if it is working properly.
- It doesn’t make much noise and can be used anywhere.
- The pump is portable and can be used while travelling in a car.
- The suction speed is not that amazing.
3. Belle Ma Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump
Belle Ma Melon has two phase pumping system. It has stimulation as well as expression and 25 different custom settings for pumping. The pump has a soft built so when you use it, you feel comfortable. It doesn’t make much of a noise and is great for discrete pumping. The product is approved by FDA and is BPA free.
- You can see your preferred settings.
- The pump is easy to clean and assemble.
- The pump has a warranty of one year.
- Some customers have however mentioned that it makes a good amount of noise.
4. Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump - Best Manual Breast Pump
Medela Harmony pump is a manual breast pump. The pump is great because of its light weight and sleek design. The pump is easy to use with a two-phase expression. Pumping is much more comfortable because of the soft touch and swivel handle. The pump consists of a manual pump, 5oz bottles along lids, a bottle stand, a nipple with collar, a cap and a membrane.
- The pump fits well and is pretty hygienic.
- The pump is portable.
- The product is BPA free.
- Some customers have mentioned that the suction force is not that great. It might lose suction after a few pumps.
5. NOKIRE Manual Breast Pump - Silicone Hand Pump Breastfeeding Food Grade BPA-Free Milk Breastpump with Lid - Portable Milk Collector for Baby Breast Feeding
NOKIRE Manual Breast pump is an eco-friendly product made of silicone and BPA free materials. The fantastic design of the pump makes it easy to use and is comfortable. The best part of this pump is if you are not satisfied with the product, you can return it and 100% cashback is guaranteed.
- Easy to clean and portable.
- The pump comes with a nipple and a lid so that the milk stays safe for baby’s consumption.
- The great design prevents you from getting hurt and is easy to sterilize.
- The angle of the pump is not great and you might need to adjust a bit to pump.
6. Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
A very reputed company known for its electronic products, Phillips brings to you AVENT Double Electronic Comfort Breast Pump. Now you can simultaneously pump and save time. This also leads to better flow of milk. The BPA free technology gives you a smooth and comfortable feeling while you use it. The product also comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The pump comes with a bag and you can travel with them.
- It comes with two bottles and two nipples.
- The pump has a breast cushion that keeps you comfortable.
- Three expressions settings available.
- The pump might not last you very long.
7. Breast Pump Kit for Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breastpump. Includes 2 Tubing, 2 Breastshields (25 mm, Medium), 4 Valves, 6 Membranes; Replacement Kit for Medela Pump Parts
This is a complete breast pumping kit which consists of two pumps, one piece breast shields. It has 4 valves and 6 membranes. However, the product doesn’t come with bottles. You can purchase them separately. The pump has a great quality and is available in almost all the medical stores near you.
- BPA free and certified product.
- You can get different sizes of breast shields and choose the correct one.
- The product is pocket friendly.
- You should be careful while buying the parts as fake parts of this product are available in the market.
8. NatureBond Silicone Manual Breast Pump Breastfeeding Milk Saver Suction | All-In-1 Lid, Carry Pouch, Air-Tight Vacuum Sealed in Hardcover Gift Box. BPA Free & 100% Food Grade Silicone
This Silicone manual breast pump is a fine gift for any new mom. The pump is certified and BPA free for starters. The pump is dishwasher safe and extremely light. You can carry it anywhere you go. The pump also comes with a dust cover lid.
- The pump comes in a velvet pouch and is easy to carry.
- Easy to sterilize and hygienic.
- Very quick delivery of the product.
- The pump might fall off while suction at times.
9. Manual Breastmilk Pump with Lid – 100% BPA Free Silicone Breast Milk Catcher and Saver for Breastfeeding Mothers – Breastpump Baby Shower Gifts for New Moms
This pump is again known for its light weight and portability. Unlike electric pumps, you can use it anywhere without any hassle. The lid which comes along with the pump helps you to store the milk after pumping. It meets all the standards and has a guarantee period as well.
- No batteries required. You don’t even need to assemble any parts.
- A 30 days guarantee with 100% cash back on any problem is applicable.
- Great design and look and is easy to clean.
- Doesn’t let you simultaneously pump on both sides.
10. Zerlar Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pumps.
Highly recommended for parents worried about the quality of the product. Zerlar is eco-friendly and BPA free certified product. You can clean this pump very easily and it fits well to the breasts allowing great suction and comfortable pumping. The pump is very easy to handle and has a natural suction pressure.
- Small and light. Easy to handle and portable.
- Soft and comfortable to use.
- You get a warranty on this product.
- The pump is a bit difficult to assemble.
So, these are a few things you need to keep in mind when you get a best breast pump. Remember that your baby’s health comes first. Get such a product that will be beneficial to your situation.
Let us know what you think. You can also leave any doubt or suggestion by commenting below.